During a solar eclipse, Emily confronts the Shadow of Death in her home.
Emily makes plans to go see a solar eclipse with Ben, who is very sick. During the eclipse the two "anti-marry" each other, promising to remain unwed for as long as they live. When his coughing grows worse Emily nurses him at the Dickinson family home and is disturbed when he begins to hallucinate.
Sue is fitted for her wedding dress and discovers she is pregnant, much to her chagrin. Lavinia gives Joseph a nude sketch of herself.
- Hailee Steinfeld as Emily Dickinson
- Adrian Enscoe as Austin Dickinson
- Anna Baryshnikov as Lavinia Dickinson
- Ella Hunt as Sue Gilbert
- Jane Krakowski as Mrs. Dickinson
- Darlene Hunt as Maggie
- Samuel Farnsworth as George Gould
- Gus Birney as Jane Humphrey
- Chinaza Uche as Henry
- Sophie Zucker as Abby Wood
- Allegra Heart as Abiah Root
- Amanda Warren as Betty
- Kevin Yee as Toshiaki
- Gus Halper as Joseph Lyman
- Charise Greene as Headmistress
- Matt Lauria as Ben Newton
Special Guest Star
- Warren Katz as Minister
- Dasha Nekrasova as Ellen Mandeville Grout
- Levi Ricks as Helen
- Alison Cimmet as Art Teacher
- The episode's title and themes are based on "Faith is a fine invention" poem #185 by Emily Dickinson.
"Because I could not stop" • "I have never seen ‘Volcanoes’" • "Wild nights" • "Alone, I cannot be" • "I am afraid to own a Body" • "A brief, but patient illness" • "We lose - because we win" • "There’s a certain Slant of light" • "‘Faith’ is a fine invention" • "I felt a Funeral, in my Brain"
"Before I Got My Eye Put Out" • "Fame Is A Fickle Food" • "The Only Ghost I Ever Saw" • "The Daisy Follows Soft The Sun" • "Forbidden Fruit A Flavor Has" • "Split The Lark" • "Forever - Is Composed Of Nows" • "I'm Nobody! Who Are You?" • "I Like A Look Of Agony" • "You Cannot Put A Fire Out"