Emily confronts tough issues at a meeting of the local Shakespeare Club.
George asks Edward's permission for Emily's hand in marriage and is disappointed when Edward seems to suggest that George is too lenient with Emily.
As Emily prepares to act out Othello with her Shakespeare club George tries to strongarm her into behaving more obediently, first by attempting to censor the play and later by refusing to let Henry, one of the Dickinson's hired hands who is black, play the title role.
Though George later tries to explain his actions, Emily is angered and rejects his marriage proposal outright.
- Hailee Steinfeld as Emily Dickinson
- Toby Huss as Edward Dickinson
- Adrian Enscoe as Austin Dickinson
- Anna Baryshnikov as Lavinia Dickinson
- Ella Hunt as Sue Gilbert
- Jane Krakowski as Mrs. Dickinson
- Darlene Hunt as Maggie
- Samuel Farnsworth as George Gould
- Gus Birney as Jane Humphrey
- Chinaza Uche as Henry
- Sophie Zucker as Abby Wood
- Allegra Heart as Abiah Root
- Kevin Yee as Toshiaki
- Gus Halper as Joseph Lyman
- The episode's title and themes are based on "I am afraid to own a Body" poem 1090 by Emily Dickinson.
"Because I could not stop" • "I have never seen ‘Volcanoes’" • "Wild nights" • "Alone, I cannot be" • "I am afraid to own a Body" • "A brief, but patient illness" • "We lose - because we win" • "There’s a certain Slant of light" • "‘Faith’ is a fine invention" • "I felt a Funeral, in my Brain"
"Before I Got My Eye Put Out" • "Fame Is A Fickle Food" • "The Only Ghost I Ever Saw" • "The Daisy Follows Soft The Sun" • "Forbidden Fruit A Flavor Has" • "Split The Lark" • "Forever - Is Composed Of Nows" • "I'm Nobody! Who Are You?" • "I Like A Look Of Agony" • "You Cannot Put A Fire Out"