Emily’s relationships are challenged as she moves into a new chapter of life.
Austin and Sue's marriage day arrives. Emily is still in mourning over Ben's death but tries to make Sue's wedding day special by writing her a love poem and gathering a bouquet for her. Her actions reignite Austin's jealousy, and he bans her from the wedding and tells the family that it was Emily who decided not to go.
George leaves town to seek his fortune in California and offers to take Emily with him. Emily refuses, citing her desire to remain with Sue. Edward finally returns.
- Hailee Steinfeld as Emily Dickinson
- Toby Huss as Edward Dickinson
- Adrian Enscoe as Austin Dickinson
- Anna Baryshnikov as Lavinia Dickinson
- Ella Hunt as Sue Gilbert
- Jane Krakowski as Mrs. Dickinson
- Jason Mantzoukas as Bee
- Darlene Hunt as Maggie
- Samuel Farnsworth as George Gould
- Gus Birney as Jane Humphrey
- Chinaza Uche as Henry
- Gus Halper as Joseph Lyman
- Amanda Warren as Betty
- Matt Lauria as Ben Newton
Special Guest Star
- Warren Katz as Minister
- John Leonard Thompson as Mr. Humphrey
- Dee Hoty as Mrs. Humphrey
- Jared Koron as Falconer
- Garo Yellin as Cellist
- The episode's title and themes are based on "I felt a Funeral, in my Brain" poem #280 by Emily Dickinson.