On Christmas, Emily tries to be the “good little woman.” Zosia Mamet guest stars.
Edward is gone for Christmas and the Dickinsons host a dinner party. Emily's mother takes to her bed leaving the children to act as hosts. Emily invites Ben and Sue is surprised and jealous as Emily takes up domestic work in order to please him.
On Christmas morning Emily is surprised to learn that her father is building her a conservatory so that she can enjoy flowers year round.
- Hailee Steinfeld as Emily Dickinson
- Toby Huss as Edward Dickinson
- Adrian Enscoe as Austin Dickinson
- Anna Baryshnikov as Lavinia Dickinson
- Ella Hunt as Sue Gilbert
- Jane Krakowski as Mrs. Dickinson
- Zosia Mamet as Louisa May Alcott
- Gus Birney as Jane Humphrey
- Gus Halper as Joseph Lyman
- Matt Lauria as Ben Newton
- John Leonard Thompson as Mr. Humphrey
- Dee Hoty as Mrs. Humphrey
- Mark Rosa as Piano Player
- The episode's title and themes are based on "There's a certain Slant of light", a lyrical poem written by the American poet Emily Dickinson. It was published posthumously in 1890 by her friends Mabel Loomis Todd and Thomas Wentworth Higginson in Poems by Emily Dickinson: Series 1.