On her father’s election day, Emily defiantly attempts to publish another poem.
Edward prepares for local elections and is surprised when his supposedly safe seat becomes embroiled in a virtual tie. Ben urges Emily to enter a local poetry contest but Emily refuses, knowing that doing so will embarrass her father.
As a compromise, Emily asks Austin to submit Nobody knows this little Rose under his name. He does so and wins the contest. Edward realizes that the poem is Emily's and the two have a violent confrontation. Edward finally wins his seat but his entire family is too depressed and angry to celebrate his win.
- Hailee Steinfeld as Emily Dickinson
- Toby Huss as Edward Dickinson
- Adrian Enscoe as Austin Dickinson
- Anna Baryshnikov as Lavinia Dickinson
- Ella Hunt as Sue Gilbert
- Jane Krakowski as Mrs. Dickinson
- Darlene Hunt as Maggie
- Chinaza Uche as Henry
- Gus Birney as Jane Humphrey
- Sophie Zucker as Abby Wood
- Allegra Heart as Abiah Root
- Matt Lauria as Ben Newton
- Ashley Carvalho as Twin Sister A
- Kimberly Carvalho as Twin Sister B
- Yoni Raanan Kallai as Acrobat #1
- Angela Elaine Butch as Acrobat #2
- Mark Rosa as Piano Player
- The episode's title and themes are based on ""We lose — because we win", poem #21 by Emily Dickinson.
- The poem with which Emily enters the competition is "Nobody knows this little Rose".